History of 1st Blofield and Brundall Sea Scout Group
The First Blofield and Brundall Sea Scout Group is a very thriving organisation of over one hundred members operating a Beaver Colony, Cub Pack, Scout Troop and Explorer Unit. We have very dedicated leaders for all of these sections and a lay Executive Committee who run the administration and finances of the Group
The Group was formed in 1913, just five years after the birth of Scouting. In these days the Group were Land Scouts and were sponsored by Blofield Church, the Vicar, the Reverend A S Duncan -Jones was the first Group Scout Leader. There was a break during the second World War due to lack of Leaders but was formed again in 1952 . Maurice Gardener became G.S.L of the Blofield Scout Sea Scout Group . In September 1969 the name was changed to The First Blofield and Brundall Sea Scout Group and has remained so ever since.
In the early 1970's the Group purchased a double plot on Hobros Dyke, Brundall Marina which became the Group's Water-base. The plot came with MTB 102 which was in a very sorry state and was being used as a houseboat. When in service she was the Royal Navy's fastest boat. It is to the Groups great credit that in the twenty five years that she was ours she was returned to a sea going condition and remains so now. Now getting on in age, she is in wonderful trim, totally seaworthy and part of the historic boats and is based at Lowestoft.
On the 20th of November 1975 the Group gained Admiralty Recognition and took their place within the 101 groups in the country who have reached and maintained a very high standard of excellence. Every eighteen months the Group undergoes a very vigorous inspection by a senior Naval Officer and we are maintaining our position in the top 25% of all recognised Groups.
Our original headquarters built in the 1950's were two asbestos arcons placed end to end on land leased from the Margaret Harker Hall. Over the years we outgrew this facility and towards the end of 1988 we enter into negotiations with Norwich City Council for a sectional wooden building that was on a car park in Oak Street in Norwich. The deal was we could have it at no cost as long as we moved it and cleared the site. The building was removed and stored at Basey-Fisher's farm in Blofield. Demolition of the old building, laying a new slab and erecting the building that you see today took a year and cost £33,000.
In 1995 we turned our attention to our Water-base headquarters. For several years the only building on the site was an old Module from an Oil Rig. This was removed, the site was piled and a small building, consisting of instruction and changing facilities was erected together with some quay heading this cost £22,000.
In 2005, under the leadership of our present GSL, Rusty Carter, the Group had outgrown the existing Waterbase facility. This was expanded to include toilets and showers for both boys and girls, all of which were user friendly for those young people with special needs.We also installed a "crew lift" to take them safely from a wheel chair and lower them gently into a boat.This was completed in 2006. By the following year we had become a training base for the Royal Yachting Association. We completed the quay heading and greatly increased our fleet of sailing boats kayaks canoes and rescue boats. The total cost of this amounted to £112,000.
We now have a facility which is second to none and one which we are justifiably proud of.
The bell that hangs in the HQ is from the Empire Trotwood.